Friday 23 March 2012

Cooking and politics

The ABC has a new political program called Kitchen Cabinet with political journalist Annabel Crabb. I watched an earlier episode with Julie Bishop, but I must admit that I turned off part way through. I think that probably due to the fact that, in general, I don't enjoy cooking or conservative politics I wasn't too excited about the program.

However, my faith in the series has been restored this week, when Annabel Crabb interviewed Tanya Plibersek. For those who aren't familiar with the show, Crabb is hosted for a meal by a politician in his or her home, and it's a bit of a cooking show too. Plibersek prepared a trout spaghetti, cheese and olive balls and stuffed zucchini flowers. Crabb brings with her a dessert each episode; in this case a roasted strawberry and ginger nut delight.

As an aside - if I never see another ginger nut biscuit in my life, it will be too soon. I ate - and vomited - far too many of them during my pregnancy. As a second aside, I recall the state - by - state differences were discussed in a Nick Earls novel. I digress.

Plibersek discusses a wide range of topics. These include her views as a ten-year-old of Thatcher's policies, her parent's immigration to Australia, factional politics, uranium mining and export, redemption and forgiveness, deep fried cheese, having a young family and media attention, drug addiction and rehabilitation, breastfeeding and working, herb gardens, national infrastructure and salami sandwiches, among other things.

For those who can view the program, I strongly recommend that you do. It's only viewable in Australia, or by those with enough IT skills to make the computer think that you're in Australia. Here's the link: http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/program/909282

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...